Saturday, March 23, 2013

Week 2

HOLAAAAA. Happy pi day! (can't find the symbol on this keyboard :(. ) Also, happy birthday grandpa clair! somebody told me the date and I remembered!! I'll never forget that man. This week FLEW by. It's crazy i've been here two weeks, and yet it feels like 6 years, but at the same time, it's gone so fast.

 The spanish is coming along. We keep trying to have days where we all don't speak any english and just do spanglish, but....most of the time we either forget or go till about 10 o'clock, and then forget. still though, this week, i actually felt like I am starting to understand it better. On sunday, we had a devotional speaker, and I can't quite remember who his name is. Maybe I should just bring my journal when I write emails because it's all written in there. We also watched legacy-the pioneer movie. always a good one. on sunday, in our branch meeting, we all have to prepare 3-5 minute talks to give. Then, the presidency picks two speakers. I prepared mine, but i figured it probably wouldn't be me because there was a district leaving that week, so i thought it'd be one of them. wrong-o. right before bro davis-our second counselor announced who the speakers were, i knew it was going to be me. hahahaha. i did it all in spanish which was good! it was about forgiveness and repentence. I have the words i want to speak in english, but translating them to spanish is definitely a challenge.

monday, we got another teacher named hermano avila. he's a freaking stud. he's been off his mission for literally 6 weeks. the first day we had him, i was a little frustrated because it was so intense and i felt a little discouraged because I have such a long ways to go, and there's so much material coming at us. After that class though, i figured i have two options: I can either be frustrated and miserable with myself, or i can work hard and do my best to understand how i can make myself a better missionary out of it, which will include lots of hardwork. I prayed for that patience and being able to apply what he teaches us, and the next day, i really enjoyed his class. I felt the spirit, and decided I want to be the best missionary i can make myself. another lesson he gave this week was about feasting upon the words of Christ.

 we all got super stoked to read scriptures and pmg as you can probably guess. the scriptures really are worth more than gold. it's amazing how you can be reading one thing, then if you have a question, you go to a footnote, taking you to another scripture, and it goes on and on! I still have so much to learn, especially with the language, but i still feel like i'm steadily progressing. we've learned a lot about the doctrine of Christ: faith, repentence, baptism, etc. it's amazing because I keep learning that keeping it simple while teaching is key. These are simple truths that we teach investigators, and if they're ready to hear the gospel, God will prepare them.

 I've studied lots about the Atonement this week as well. It's starting to hit me how real this really is. It's essential! I sometimes find myself saying the words to the song in my head," I stand all amazed." I don't know how to put it into simpler words than that. We were at the temple again today because it's pday and last week, we saw a cute old man there with us. That same man was there today, and I just thought, "God bless him." He's here up and early at the temple, serving his God. I just thought it was kind of cool.

 I can't believe I'll be in Chile in less than a month. I'm just so amazed I'm here. Some of the speakers have reminded us that we are really on the Lord's errand and we're going forth to proclaim the gospel.

 I can't believe this is me either..haha. anyways... i love you all!

 ps write me letters! i love getting mail.

-Hermana hanks


Provo Temple


Mount Timp


"i drew a picture of a spaceship going to chile during a break..hehe."


Me and Soster Briscoe



"while we were waiting at devo, i drew colorado. hahahaha. everyone here thinks im super artsy...but im not really..hahahaha"


No comments:

Post a Comment