Sunday, August 18, 2013

July 9, 2013

haaaai.  
How goes? Ummm happy late cuatro de julio!  Obviously they don't celebrate it down here, but  I think i can be honest when i say i prefer that holiday in the northern hemisphere with sunshine, swimming pools, and bbq's as opposed to lots of rain, cold, boots and little heat. hahahaha.  us Coloradoans down in here still wore red, white, and blue though!
this morning, i was getting ready for the day, and heard a huge bang from the kitchen.  it sounded like literally the heater had crashed to the floor and water was going to everywhere.  I ran into the kitchen and saw my companion looking shocked at what had happened.  she showed me her arm, "hermana...look at my arm. the hairs are singed off!".  the water was running while she had tried to turn on the gas and BAM flame envelops, hermana hides with her arm(thus resulting in singed  arm hairs), so she does not burn. oh man....it was slightly terrifying, but i have to be completely honest, i am still laughing to this minute as i write about that.  all is good now, no worries  =)
Ok crazy week.  We had some goods and bads.  Goods first.  Well, Milena.  IS FLIPPING AWESOME.  We went by and taught her the importance of scripture study because she hasn't really started reading.  She seemed really into it and after we taught, she wanted to read in alma 32 about faith.  She really liked that chapter too!  She is totally starting to having a testimony of her own.  We still have some work to do with her.  She wanted to come to church, which is amazing because getting people to church here is like the downfall.  she reminded us, but said she was going to the south to see her family and wasn't sure if she'd be back.  she wasn't, but next week hopefully she will come.  HOPEFULLYYYYY!!!!
She also made us lunch one day. that was pretty sweet too! and we got her to pray. I like Milena!  We also have a lot in common too.  Like, shes outdoorsy too.  We are apparently friends on fb too now, and she said she likes to do a lot of what i like to do. so thats cool.  
We have visited an older woman in our ward Hermana Mataluna, the one who cristina cares for.  Cristina doesn't care for her anymore, so we have had trouble finding her lately =(  .  Hermana Matalunas son is not a member, and really questions a lot of stuff-in a fair manner. they're good questions, but answering them in spanish??? such as the laws of justice and mercy of God, etc, yeah...  he has been at her house the past few times we have talked to her  and has started participating more. Some of his questions, i can't remember them too well, but were about like i said, the laws of God.  I then asked him if he has a book of mormon.  he said his mom did have a few.  I then told him to read alma 42 to explain because it would explain it better than we could.  He wrote down the verse and i'm hoping he will have read that when we see him next.  
We passed another church this week.  they were singing onward christian soldiers. it was kinda cool.
We seriously have the bestest friends ever. Yin and Yang! they are always in their place by the church and always come greet us. i sent some pics with my bruddahs.  adorbs.  they have gotten in the habit of walking us home too. they're such gems.
Now for the bad!
I almost got bit by a dog this week.  Some little satan dog(there be LOTS of them down here.) was jumping on me, like ,"pet me pet me!" and to be nice, i reached down, and it barely missed me.   soooo thanks for that.  my comp got bit by a different dog this week too.  NOT A FAN.  the street dogs are cool, but other than that, most of the ones that have owners are super annoying.  
We contacted a vieja named malva.  she was very sweet and talked our ears off, but we were excited because she was interested to learn more.  we came back and she took a while to come to the door.  She came outside and shut the door behind her.  She told us how her kids were in town and didn't like the missionaries-they had shared before.  She also said how they make her decisions and she seemed sad, but said she would call us in the future.  it was sad.  I hope she does!
We were contacting (yes, we contact a bit door to door).  One lady came to us at her house and asked where we were from.  We told her the states, and then she said, "vayanse a su propio pais!  No quiero nada con ustedes."  aka go back to your own country.  so...yeah.  
Andd.....the best for last.  We were on the streets one night and my comp was talking to someone on the phone.  I said greeted a guy walking the opposite way of us and he stopped and greeted back.  I told him were missionaries and all, and man.  I want you to compare that man to zeezrom in the book of mormon.  it was exactly like that!!!!  read alma 11 and that will give you a little feel for what this was.  (hmmmm even some v. 23 was running thru our heads)
I don't even know how to describe all that happened.  He questioned every little thing, as if to make us question what we are teaching.  we simply stated what we knew for a fact.  he kinda made fun of me a lot too because my spanish still isn't very good. We both bore testimony tho, he wouldn't let us talk much, and it was a bit hard to walk away because we didn't want to be rude at the same time.  When i was trying to bear testimony, a few times in there, i had to say,"espere! (wait) espere!" because he kept interrupting me.  It was frustrating at the time...haha.and seriously emotionally exhausting.  
we walked away and we knew we had at least stood our ground, even if we dont speak as good of spanish as him.  we didn't fight, even though he tried with his wise and crafty ways.  he left us saying, "think about what i said when you've returned" and my comp saaid, "same invitation to you."  yeah right guy!  creep. i think we did the best we could. If anything, we both agreed that it strengthened us!  
Soooo yeah.  My companion and I are learning a lot though!  We love brainstorming new ways to do things and love studying the scriptures!  AAGHHHHH mormon 8 and 9 is the best thing ever. man.  we have a bad day, there is alwaysalways always something good in the scriptures.  
Okay. to end on a good note....TOTALLY WAS SURPRISED YESTERDAY!!!!!!  we were sitting in church, and all of the sudden, i see a red haired gringa go sit two rows in front of me.  I see her turn around and thought i recognized her.  I patted to the seat in front of me. IT WAS VALERIE! i was so shocked hahahahahahahahaha. she came to my ward it was insane!  shes here for 5 weeks! so surprised. i nearly wet myself. lol. not really.
Well...I believe that is mostly the wrap for this week.  We made some good arroz con leche! supessss good.  
It was cold during studies like every day,and we started singing "tengo frio en mi alma hay" instead of of "tengo gozo en mi alma hay." (there is sunshine in my soul today.) hehehehe we are hilarious.
I notice more and more each day how God really is.  I was definitely so blind before! dang.  its seriously insanely awesome!  he blesses me each day and i know he loves me.  
Well, I love yall.  I love the gospel!  Its seriously the best thing ever.  It brings me so much joy.  
Peace out. imma gonna go eat some sushi.
Chao!
Oh, also, if anyone wants to email me, DO IT!!!!! emily.hanks@myldsmail.net
love getting letters.

hermana emily katherine hanks


1. la plaza vina.  be jelly.


2. gnarly murals make me happy. 


3. dont worry mumsy.  safe from the tsunamis. not safe from the temblors!!!! lol lol. 


4. Hahahahaha. on the ward bulletin. 


5. yin and yang are seriously insane i tell ye



6. PIKES PEAK. in thrift store here!!! my life rocks. 




No comments:

Post a Comment